Friday, March 15, 2013

Foodie Friday: Healthy Shamrock Shake

Healthy Shamrock Shake - Copyright 2013 - Michelle Loy, MPH, MS, RD, CSSD - Go Wellness
Happy St. Patrick's Day!  My family has been getting into the spirit with a few festive crafts, but something that I wanted to tackle myself was a healthier version of the Shamrock Shake that I've heard so much about.  I have to admit that I've never actually tasted THE Shamrock Shake, but I think that's a good thing! My taste buds won't be tainted.  I will admit that I tried three different recipes before finally getting it right with this version.  This has also passed the kid-friendly and husband-friendly tests, too!  I was a bit skeptical of the mint flavor as I'm not a huge fan of mint, but I really find it refreshing.  Try it and let me know what you think.      Slainte!

Healthy Shamrock Shake

Ingredients:
1/2 c coconut milk (canned)
Juice of half a lime
1/4 tsp peppermint extract (You may want to add more or less depending on your taste. You could also use 2 Tbsp of fresh mint.)
1 c kale (about 2 leaves, stems removed;  You could use other greens, such as spinach, too.)
2 c fresh or frozen, unsweetened pineapple chunks (If using frozen pineapple, you may want to add a few extra tablespoons of water to thin out the shake a bit.)
1 ripe banana (fresh or frozen)
*3 ice cubes, if using fresh fruit only

Directions:
1.  Combine all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.  Enjoy!

Servings:  2
Nutritional Information:
Calories:  207  Carbohydrate:  39 g   Protein:  3 g   Fat:  7 g   Cholesterol:  0 mg   Saturated fat:  5 g   Fiber:  4 g   Sugar:  23 g (natural from the fruit)   Sodium:  20 mg 
Excellent source of:  Vitamin C, B6, A
Good source of:  thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, iron, magnesium, and potassium
Adapted from:  www.greenplaterule.com   

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails