Friday, April 29, 2011

Foodie Friday: Raspberry Creamsicles

Photo credit:  Michelle Loy. Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.

We are heading into May and the start of raspberry season.  Yum!  Plus, where I'm at, we're also already heading into higher temps, which also calls for foods that help you stay cool.  What better food to enjoy the season with than a creamsicle, right?  I make a variety of popsicle treats for my kids, and they always enjoy them.  I think it has a lot to do with the anticipation since we have to wait a while to enjoy them after making them.  This recipe is super simple and will definitely keep you cool.  If you can't tell from the photo of my daughter, my kids kind of like these...a lot!  I also like them because they're nutritious and they're not filled with all the stuff that you'd find in some commercial versions.  And who can forget the FUN factor?  Enjoy!

Raspberry Creamsicles      
Ingredients:
1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)*
1/2 cup low-fat or non-fat plain yogurt (I prefer to use low-fat.)
2 Tbsp skim or 1% milk
1 Tbsp honey

Directions:
1.  Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.  
2.  Pour creamsicle mixture into popsicle molds.  Freeze until they are firm.  (I usually let it freeze overnight or prepare earlier in the day to enjoy by day's end.)  Once ready to enjoy, run the popsicle mold under a little warm running water to loosen from the mold.
*You can use other fruits, such as mango or strawberries, too.

Serves: 4
Nutritional Information:
Calories:  43   Carbohydrate:  8.8 g   Protein:  1.8   Fat:  0.3 g   Cholesterol:  1 mg   Fiber:  3 g   Sugar:  8 g        

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails