Friday, February 4, 2011

Foodie Friday: Gabriella's Pinwheel Sandwiches

Photo credits: Michelle Loy. Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. 

This month I'm focusing on how we can love our children through high quality nutrition and positive feeding.  While I'd like to say that doing this is a cinch with my own children, I cannot.  I'm always looking for fresh, fun ways to get my two little {occasional} rascals to eat well.  One thing that I like to do is put a twist on the good ol' standbys.  Today's old favorite happens to be the PB and J, of course, but I put a little spin on it.  I call it Gabriella's Pinwheel Sandwiches because it has become a fast fave, especially for my daughter.  What I love about these is that they're super simple, satisfying, and easy for the little ones (or even you) to eat.  I love the texture that the dried fruit adds, and you can put your own personal spin on it as well.  Try it and let me know what you think because I'd love to hear your variations.  Enjoy!

Gabriella's Pinwheel Sandwiches

Ingredients:
Whole wheat, whole grain, or sprouted grain tortilla (I use the soft taco-size.) 
1 Tbsp nut butter (I usually use almond butter or peanut butter.)
1 Tbsp dried fruit (Unsweetened dried cherries or raisins are great, but you could also use your favorite.)
1/2 banana, sliced
Cinnamon for sprinkling
Honey for drizzling

Directions:

1.  Spread the nut butter over the tortilla. 


2.  Top with banana slices and dried fruit.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle with just a touch of honey.  (I find that I don't need much honey at all as long as I drizzle it horizontally in one line across the tortilla because when you roll it up, you'll get the taste in every bite that way. So a little will go a long way here.)


3.  Gently roll the tortilla up.  (You can actually eat it just like this, which works great if you're on the go.)  Then slice into 8 sections, which will be the pinwheel sandwiches, and enjoy!


Serves: 1 adult or 2-3 children
Nutritional Information: (for 1 wrap) 
Calories:   380  Carbohydrate: 56 g   Fat: 16 g   Monounsaturated fat: 11 g   Protein: 9 g   Cholesterol: 0 mg   Fiber:  8 g   Sugar:  19 g (3 g added sugar from the honey)   Sodium: 576 mg
Excellent source of: magnesium and vitamin E
Good source of: thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, iron, and potassium

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails