Monday, January 25, 2010

Weight Management: How often should I weigh myself?


 
I am often asked, "How often should I weigh myself?"  Based on the current evidence and my practical experience, here's what I suggest.
  • If you are actively working to lose weight, it is best to weigh once a week, same day, same time, same scale, and wearing the same clothes, if possible.  Why?  Our weight fluctuates from day to day and even throughout the day depending on many things, including our hydration status, physical activity, food intake, or elimination.  It can also vary by scale (home vs gym vs doctor's) and the type or amount of clothing you're wearing each time.  I've worked with people who've weighed themselves multiple times daily or weekly, and I've seen how the numbers on the scale can affect an individual's thoughts, feelings, and behaviors -- negatively or positively.  It's kind of like checking on your stocks all day long.  It goes up and down and it could really drive you cRaZy!  I've found that this is not helpful when attempting weight loss as it can trigger possible setbacks.
  • If you are practicing weight maintenance, it is best to weigh daily (again same time, same scale, same clothing, if possible).  When I worked at a bank through college, I used to balance my checking account daily.  It was great because I was able to find and fix errors immediately.  It's the same thing with weighing daily. By doing this, you can detect minor changes and implement management strategies more quickly.
Significant weight gain does not occur over night, and one way to keep your weight in check over the long-term is to self-monitor it.  Several studies have found that participants weighing less frequently than once a week experienced greater weight gain than those who weighed at least once a week or more. So if daily weighing seems a bit much, I'd recommend weighing at least once a week for more successful weight gain prevention.

Looking for a trusty scale?  I'd suggest these brands:  

**I have not been paid to recommend these brands. My suggestions are based on my own personal and professional experience with these brands and/or research into the best brands for my own personal/professional use.**

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails